Sunday, November 14, 2010

Rant: cliches

You know what I can't stand? You know what drives me absolutely freaking insane? CLICHES. THAT'S what drive me insane. I can't even go to the movie theaters anymore, because every single movie out there has the same exact plot. So there's the two people, a male and a female. They're best friends, right? So the female starts dating this guy, and the best friend is all heart broken and stuff because he 'loves her' and it hurts him to see the one he loves with another man. And as the plot continues (but doesn't thicken), the guy the girl was dating does something bad like say, cheat on her (tell me you haven't heard THAT one before!) And the guy friend finds out, but doesn't tell his best friend because he doesn't want to see her hurt or something. So when the girl and the guy she was dating finally break up because she found out that he was two-timing her, she's upset at her best friend for not telling her, and in the end, they are together and he uses some cheesy line like, "you belong with me," or after they kiss, he says, "you have no idea how long I've been waiting for that." YADA YADA. It sounds so familiar, right? How many times have you seen that plot? I'll name a few movies down: The Switch, Maid of Honor (Similar plot. But I still love that movie on the sole reason that Patrick Dempsey's in it), 13 Going on 30, Sky High (kids movie) well, basically any disneychannel movie/any Hallmark movie. Sure some people suck those lame, flimsy plot-lines up through a straw, but I do not. I hate them. So much, in fact, that I have just walked away from the movie. I think the worst thing about those movies is when as the best guy friend is confessing his love for the girl and he tells her he loves her. It makes me nauseous just thinking about it, because it's so cliche, and I don't believe life works that way. If it's worked that way for you, then congrats. But you know what I mean.

Or, I hate the cliche where there's two polar opposites, and they met, hate each other, then eventually fall in love. Examples of that would be: The Proposal, Twilight, Life As We Know It, The Notebook (don't get me wrong, I LOVE that movie), Shrek, Wall-E, basically any classic disney movie (Beauty and the Beast, Hercules, The Little Mermaid, etc. But I love those movies as well. There's something about those movies that aren't as... cliche.)

BUTTTTTT, every once in a while I'll stumble upon a movie where that's not the plot line at all. It'll be something totally different, and I just loveee the director/screenwriter for doing it. A few examples of these movies would be: The Outsiders (originally based on a book, yes, but still), Megamind (YESS! Just saw this one XD), 50 First Dates, and Avatar.

To tell you the truth, I had a hard time coming up with those movies. I'm more of a book person. So, here's a few butt-kicking books that have freaking awesome not cliche plots: The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (hehe!), Unwind by Neal Shusterman, Graceling by Kristin Cashore, East by Edith Pattou, HARRY POTTER by J.K Rowling and Watership Down by Richard Adams (I mean, how cliche can you get when the book is about rabbits?!)

Anyways, I think I got my point across. For any of you future authors/screenwriters/directors out there, think of something original. Or at least change it up a little bit. I don't want to be reading a book/watching a movie and thinking that I've seen this all many, many times before.

~secondsfromdisaster
:)

Ohhh, by the way. I wrote a fanfiction on The Hunger Games that I thought sort of goes with this posting. I'll post it later for you to read. It's based on a love triangle cliche, like The Hunger Games has (but THG has a GOOD love triangle. Nothing like Twilight.) Who will Katniss end up with, Gale or Peeta? How 'bout neither? I'll post it once I'm done posting this.

Lataaa hataaas.

1 comment: